Monday, March 05, 2007

Leveling: Nyzul Isle (75)

On Saturday morning I decided I needed to work on getting my exp back to capped, and get some limit points on top of that, so I got everything I'd need for PLD/WAR, PLD/NIN or PLD/RDM, put up my flag, and fished Black Sole in Port Jeuno while I waited, and waited, and waited some more, for an invite. One finally came, from a BLU74 trying to put together a party. I canvassed BEB, and Goto was eager to join in, and once we had our tank and main healer, the other three were easy to add. We started out with a WAR/NIN, MNK/NIN, and RDM/BLM in addition to our BLU/NIN, WHM/BLM, and PLD/WAR. We first headed to the Mamool Ja Staging Point, but there were 3 or 4 parties there, so we headed to Nyzul Isle instead.

We headed out to Bhaflau Thickets, and fought on the second level, mostly Greater Colibri, with an occasional Bugard. I really think SquareEnix needs to add more "snack" foods to the game, if they're going to have mobs that snatch food away from you. I refuse to waste stacks of Tavnazian Tacos or Dorado Sushi, just to have it last until the bird gets TP. I actually prefered fighting the Bugards, since I didn't have to worry about Flash getting reflected, and I could hold hate on them much better. After I decided Flash wasn't so bad, since it would mostly be hitting me instead of one of the DDs, hate wasn't quite so bad on the birds either.

Over time, we morphed into a party with a different WAR, a different MNK, a SAM instead of the BLU, and a BRD instead of the RDM. I've decided that a BRD in an exp party is the bane of my tanking life. Once the BRD arrived and started singing the wonderful songs melees so love, I just couldn't hold hate any more. I was quite astonished at the difference, but it does really make sense. Too bad the only +enmity song they have is a merit ability, and just doesn't outweigh the extra damage the party puts out with march and minuet (or whatever it is the BRDs are singing). When I left the party, I replaced myself with Aphex, a NIN from TheUltimates, and they probably had a better time as a burn party at that point. I capped my exp, and have 2 merit points waiting for me to spend now.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Bauman said...

Sounds like the Warrior should have been provoking, especially if the Bard was sleep-parking the mobs in a queue.

If they wake up and no one has provoked them...and the Bard has sung some buffs, you've got a very unhappy bard and a frustrated tank.

March 06, 2007 4:46 pm  
Blogger tsakiki said...

The warrior did provoke when we had links, but we weren't really having the bard stack the mobs up on us. My frustration was not being able to hold hate off the DDs once the Bard arrived - the Bard himself didn't suffer. I feel useless in a party where I'm "supposed to" tank, but can't, and it always happens in merit parties with a Bard.

March 07, 2007 6:45 am  
Blogger Paul Bauman said...

Ah, got it.

Yeah, I feel bad for anyone designated as a tank in a merit party, since it usually evolves into trading hate among the /NIN DD's.

Makes me wonder why people bother "designating" tanks at all in certain merit situations. I mean sure, invite a PLD or NIN to a Rampage-burn party... just don't expect them to tank 100% of the time. It's not entirely necessary in some setups anyway, especially with :Ni.

March 07, 2007 2:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home