Monday, January 08, 2007

Leveling: OK, Maybe I Should Just Cap Exp

With all my deaths these days, I've decided that maybe I should just get my exp capped at 43,999/44,000 and stay on experience mode so that I gain exp when I'm not capped, and limit points otherwise. Now that my Ninja is "done", I can read scrolls on my PLD again too. So, I actually went out for a couple short exp parties with other ClanBEB people over the New Years weekend.

We had one party at King Ranperre's Tomb with Itera (MNK/NIN), Thoron (MNK/NIN), and Elbryan (RDM/WHM). I went as PLD/RDM, and used staff since skeletons are weak to blunt weapons, and having Spirit Taker for getting MP would be handy. We probably fought for about an hour, but it was fun with just the 4 of us. I also got up to 265 on my staff skill - only 4 more levels to go until it's capped.

On New Year's Day, after I got my NIN to 37, we had another group head out to the new part of Bhaflau Thickets, where we fought VT Mamool Ja. I got to go as PLD/NIN and not have to pretend to tank, which was kind of fun. It was especially fun when we had about 4 mobs on us at once and we were all getting put to sleep and dangerously low on health. However, my damage numbers were pretty low, since I was spending half my time casting Cure IVs on everyone. We had Daden (WAR/NIN), Splinte (WAR/NIN), Easykill (MNK/NIN), Vyce (BRD/WHM), Yobun (RDM/WHM), and Kiki (PLD/NIN). Daden, the monster that he is, did 34%, Splinte and Easykill were both about 27%, and poor Kiki was just 11%.

I'd like to see how I could do in a party where I didn't cast a single spell, but that's never going to happen. My gear wasn't terrible (+34 STR with food, +47ish Attack, capped sword with 2 merits), but since that exp group, I've already improved it with a pair of dusk trousers I bought (another +15 attack, plus 35 HP to boot), and an upgrade to an Amemet Mantle +1 (another +1 STR and +5 attack). I picked up a Spike Earring, and am now trying to get a Bayard's Sword, but missed one on the AH by about 10 minutes. There seems to be one up a week, so I'll just have to keep at it. I guess I'll have to break down and get people to help me get a Joyeuse some day. I really hate asking people for help.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog a good deal recently, very impressed with your accomplishments in-game, and your entries are also very well-written and informative. ^^

Can I ask you a quick question? I recently organized an LS static and got it through the ZMs to ZM14, we all got Sky and it went really well. I'm now trying to do the same for CoP, but the static members have started to show a really annoying tendency to arrive over an hour late for missions. How did you handle that kind of thing in your static?

Thanks for any advice. And yes, I have yelled at them, seems to work but it's no fun. ; ;

January 08, 2007 1:28 pm  
Blogger tsakiki said...

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you've been enjoying my blog!

I guess we mostly handle people showing up late with "a late guy is better than a guy we don't know". :-) (Just kidding guys, really.)

It's a tough one, we've not really had that problem with our CoP static. Wendell is usually the last to show up, but we know it's because of his wife and kids, and we're used to it. Our biggest challenge has simply been finding time slots that work for all 6 of us, which is why it's taken us 10 months to get from 2-5 to 8-3.

One common approach is to make the scheduled time earlier, so you actually get going the time you wanted, but that just feeds into the culture of showing up late. That's my opinion anyway. Are they showing up late because of Real Life, or are they busy doing in-game crap? The first is a sign the times need to be adjusted, the second is a sign people are trying to do more in-game than they can handle, and are being very rude to the rest of the static.

January 08, 2007 6:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good points - they're showing up late due to RL, mainly work. Half of us are on EST, the other half on PST, and so I think that's where the problem lies.

We've chatted about this on LS board during the last day or so, and I think things are going to turn out ok. We've all been playing together for at least a year, and in most cases for over two years, so if we can figure out mission start times I think the static should be pretty stable.

Thanks for your advice, and keep up the good work. :)

January 09, 2007 12:16 pm  
Blogger Paul Bauman said...

Yeah, I gritted my teeth and capped my EXP before I started any meriting. It certainly makes death less painful, and you don't have to run back to town to switch modes.

The only downside to the auto-mode is the case where the EXP gained 'overflows' the cap (e.g. 200 EXP to cap, but Besieged gives you 1000); in that case you don't get the benefit of the rest of the points going to your Limit Point pool.

Good luck with that sword. I know how frustrating it can be to camp the AH, only to have the item come and go while you're offline.

I'm eyeing that Joy Toy too... and I'm in the same boat. I hate asking a bunch of people to interrupt what they're doing and camp a NM, of all things -_-;

January 09, 2007 2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home