Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Notorious Monsters: Goblin Wolfman

For ages, the mystery of how to acquire the Parade Gorget had stumped most of the Paladins and Dark Knights of Vana'diel. It was rumored to drop from the Goblin Wolfman, but people didn't know how to spawn it, other than knowing you had to trade a drink of some sort to the "Scrawled Writing" that would pop up in Oldton Movalpolis. Theories ran from a bottle of Movalpolis Water (obtainable only when a country has control of the Movalpolis region, which hasn't happened for two years on Lakshmi), to cursed beverages.

So last month, the game developers leaked the secret to the masses. What was needed was a Goblin Drink, and they gave away most of the recipe, and everyone rejoiced.

The recipe contains cheap, easy-to-get items, and though it is above the skill level of Qiara, it's not so far as to be undoable for her. Kiki set off to Carpenters' Landing with a stack of Shell Bugs (damn the tree cutting nerf!) and fished up 8 Phanauet Newts, and met Qiara back in Windurst. Qiara had a lot of breaks on the synths (and no skill ups), and Kiki ended up with 5 bottles of Goblin Drink.

Grym and Kiki headed off to Oldton Movalpolis to see where the spawn points were and didn't plan to actually be able to spawn the goblin themselves, since the area was fairly crowded, but we did get to see someone else spawn and fight the Goblin. He was a level 73 Paladin and didn't have much trouble killing the monster.

Over the past week or so, we kept an eye on Oldton, and finally on Monday night, the place was nearly empty. We headed there, and sure enough, there was the "Scrawled Writing", just waiting for us. I traded a bottle of Goblin Drink to the spot, felt a chill run down my spine, and suddenly the Goblin Wolfman appeared. It was a pretty easy fight (as it should be for 2 level 75s fight a monster that's around level 55), but I did take quite a bit of damage when he used Blood Weapon. We killed him, and I got my Parade Gorget! Now I can get 2 MP per tick as long as my HP stays above 75% of my base HP. This will be especially handy for my DRK when I get that to 50, since DRK doesn't have a native autorefresh like PLD.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 MP per tick! Wow!!!

October 04, 2006 10:46 am  
Blogger Boa Valenwood said...

Hmm, is that how it works? I was told it's just 75%HP+, not "above 75% of my base MP." That's good to know for my PLD. :D

And congrats! Did you get it on the first pop?

October 06, 2006 8:49 pm  
Blogger tsakiki said...

Ooops! Typo, it's HP, not MP.

Yes, I got it on the first pop. Another person in my LS was 1/3 on it, as THF75.

October 07, 2006 10:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, after like 100 pages on BG, someone finally make it clear of how to get paradise gorget '-'

gratz on urs :D! gotta be one of the best item in-game '-'

October 08, 2006 1:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home