Monday, June 04, 2007

Limbus: Milestone

One of the many changes that is supposed to be in the update scheduled for tomorrow is an "adjustment" to the Limbus entrance fee, which has been 50,000 gil since it was introduced. People have been complaining about this for quite awhile, but especially recently, since you've actually got to work pretty hard to make gil in today's economy. It's never really been a big issue for me, since Grym and I were misers for so very long, but I have been feeling the impact of a negative cash flow.

Last week marked my 40th Limbus run - I've spent 2,000,000 gil in entrance fees. That seems like a lot of gil, but look at all the goodies I've got for that money: 144 ancient beastcoins, 3 white rivets, and 2 chunks of snowy cermet. These I've used to get some pretty nifty pieces of gear: a Boxer's Mantle (75 ABCs), upgraded AF feet (20 ABCs, white rivet, and snowy cermet), and upgraded AF pants (20 ABCs, white rivet, and snowy cermet). And I have 29 ABCs that will be going towards a Brutal Earring as soon as I have 75 of them.

The Boxer's Mantle is unique, and gives me +10 to 2 of my important combat skills: Shield and Parry. It also boosts evasion and guard skills, but PLDs evade like a brick, and have no guard skill, but it would be useful for other jobs. I use it pretty much all the time I'm straight tanking now, and use High Breath Mantles when I need more enmity.

The upgraded boots are the best boots in the game for a shield-tanking PLD. Period.

The upgraded pants were a bit of a stretch perhaps, but they are better than what I had. I do hope to replace them with better ones in the coming months, but in the meantime, I like them.

So I've got 3 pieces of gear that add to my collection of stuff to help me be a better tank, and I think they're worth more than the gil I've spent to get them.

Best of all though, I've had a lot of fun in Limbus. I wish we had enough people to fight Proto-Omega and Proto-Ultima regularly, and start getting people decked out in Homam and Nashira gear, but perhaps with the TU people we've been helping work through the CoP missions and the "adjusted" fees, we'll start getting better turnouts for our Limbus runs.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, congrats on all that Limbus gear!

Can I ask how you found your Limbus shell? I just got Sea access last week, and am keen to get involved in Limbus with a good quality LS (I'm not on your server - mine is Midgard).

I'm asking because most of the Limbus activity on my server seems to be run in-house by HNMLS. I don't really want to join any of those since they usually seem to require attandance at events that don't really interest me (Dynamis, Sky, and especially King camps).

Plus, friends that have joined HNMLS recently have often become rather egotistical and gear- and status-obsessed, and I don't want to end up like that.

So, how did you find a Limbus shell that was not also an HNM shell?

Advice welcome, many thanks!

Midnightjade (BRD75 BST72)

June 05, 2007 3:31 pm  
Blogger tsakiki said...

Thanks Midnightjade! I guess you could say the shell found me really. The week I got Sea access, one of my social ls mates asked if I was interested in Limbus. His dynamis shell had a limbus shell that was normally restricted to dynamis members, but they happened to have a tank shortage and were willing (eager?) to give me a trial. I later switched to their dynamis shell too, so we're back to dynamis members only.

It does seem like most people do Limbus with their gods/hnmlses, but I'm sure there must be some exceptions on your server as well. You might want to try posting in the server-specific forums on ffxiclopedia or one of the other popular ffxi forums. It's really a lot of fun. You could actually do really well as a BRD with two BLMs as well, and get a lot more coins per person per run. I believe certain zones are prefered for this type of trio, but it sounds like people do rather well.

Good luck, and congratulations on Sea!

June 05, 2007 5:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I actually just joined Koolaid, which is a shell on Midgard with a lot of experienced players. They seem to do a lot of events, including Limbus, and they also seem very nice.

Looks like it should be a lot of fun, I'll keep you posted. :)

June 11, 2007 10:43 am  
Blogger tsakiki said...

That's good news - I hope you have a lot of fun!

June 12, 2007 8:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home